Re: modules.pnpmap output support

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 01:08:33 EST

In message <s5hekwbjb7c.wl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
> Hi Rusty,

Hi Takashi!

> The attached patch makes depmod to output modules.pnpmap file
> generated from the pnp device table.
>
> The output format is not compatible with the old modules.isapnpmap.
> The new format shows the pnp id string (e.g. CTL0301) while the old
> format uses the hex numbers. I don't think it's worthy to keep the
> compatibility for this (since the new one is more intuitive), but it'd
> be easy to follow the old style.

That seems strange. If you don't worry about backwards compatibility,
then the new scripts/file2alias.c approach is better, which generates
aliases for each module (depmod then collects these into
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.alias for speed).

The tables generated by depmod are purely for backwards compatibility,
although it does look like they will be required throughout 2.6 at
this stage.

Does that clarify?
Rusty.