Re: Is initramfs freed after kernel is booted?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 10:47:30 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:
Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

my example is after pivot_root. I still have two roots.

To clarify. I want to replace initrd with initramfs. Given all
the stuff may be put in it can easily be expanded to a couple of MBs.
initrd frees this. I do not want to waste RAM to leave them in initramfs.

Absolutely, the memory should be reclaimed. I would have thought that you could just unmount it--if the pivot_root is done properly there shouldn't be any references left to the initramfs.

Jeff?

You can't unmount rootfs. And I'm not sure pivot_root will work, though we're quickly reaching the end of my knowledge[1]. Certainly the equivalent of "rm -rf *" will work.

Jeff

[1] without reviewing the code again :)