Re: Hard lock on 2.6-test9 (More Info)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 11:33:21 EST

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Dan Creswell wrote:

> 17: 5267 3420 IO-APIC-level ohci1394, Intel ICH4, nvidia
>
> When I boot X under kernel 2.6, I see the additional nvidia interrupt
> path as per the 2.4 output (which was taken whilst I was running X).
>
> But, within seconds of this additional interrupt assignment appearing,
> 2.6 dies a horrible death whilst 2.4 just keeps on rolling.

Two potential reasons:
- the nvidia driver is just broken under 2.6.x
- or a driver bug in ohci1394 _or_ the Intel ICH4 driver, which could
become unhappy if they see a lot of interrupts that aren't for them
(maybe it uncovers a race).

You can test for the latter by just disabling those drivers, and seeing
what happens. If it still breaks, it's nvidia. If the crashes stop, it
might _still_ be nvidia, but at that point somebody else might start being
interested in it.

Linus