Re: CONFIG_CRC32 in 2.4.22 breaks PCMCIA

From: Andrew Pimlott
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 15:53:39 EST

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:23:31PM +0100, Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
> > CONFIG_CRC32 was introduced in 2.4.22. I found that if I didn't
> > explicitly set it, the pcnet_cs driver from stand-alone PCMCIA
> > distribution didn't work. PCMCIA relies on the crc functions, and
> > since they were always available before 2.4.22, it doesn't check for
> > them.
>
> Something wrong with the in-kernel pcnet_cs?

No, something is wrong with in-kernel ray_cs. :-( Oops posted a
few weeks ago.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=fa.gevojmd.732qbh%40ifi.uio.no

> > This seems to be significant breakage, and it took me a good while
> > to figure out what was going on. Is this change reasonable in the
> > stable kernel series?
>
> Well, it's in the help for the CRC32 option that it's available to enable
> external-kernel tree drivers to access these functions. If you are
> running make oldconfig you'll hit the question and if you don't know what
> it's about you should consult help...

I think I used xconfig the first time I configured this kernel
(because I coincidentally wanted to change something). It was a
while ago, and I only tried pcnet_cs today, so my memory isn't
perfect. Maybe I should have used oldconfig first, but I doubt
everyone else does that for stable kernels.

It still seems unwise to change the default in a stable kernel. Let
the people who want it set CONFIG_OMIT_CRC32 or something.

Andrew