Re: Terrible interactivity with 2.6.0-t9-mm3

From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 17:48:50 EST

john stultz wrote:
On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 11:46, Thomas Schlichter wrote:

On Monday 17 November 2003 14:12, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

Ronny V. Vindenes wrote:

I've found that neither linus.patch nor
context-switch-accounting-fix.patch is causing the problem, but rather
acpi-pm-timer-fixes.patch & acpi-pm-timer.patch

With these applied my cpu (athlon64) is detected as 0.0Mhz, bogomips
drops to 50% and anything cpu intensive destroys interactivity. Revert
them and performance is back at -mm2 level.

Yup, works for me too. Reverting those patches and my machine is smooth
again. :)

Not configuring the ACPI PM time source in should also work as well.

You're correct, I forgot to initialize cpu_khz in the ACPI PM timesource
init code. This patch fixes that.

Well I applied your patch without the ones from Thomas Schlichter. Was is intended like that or should it be on top of Thomas patches?

I haven't tested thouroughly, but on the first impression your patch didn't make things really better, that's why I stoped testing. I just did following test:

Running prime95 as task taking 100% CPU) and started up mozilla and mailer. This took nearly endlessly. Deaktivating ACPI timer and things are fast again, ie. starting mozilla is like no background task is runnig. I dunno if it is a not 100% working patch or if it is Nick's scheduler, which I am using.

Prakash