Smartmedia 2.6.0-test9 problem.

From: Patrick Beard
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 06:11:19 EST

Hi,
I have two smartmedia cards 16mb and 64mb. I have recently compiled the
Debian source for Kernel 2.6.0-test9.
I normally only use my 64mb card together with a usb reader. The problem I
have led me to the wrong conclusion which I reported to this group. For this
I apologise.

I have now clearly identified the problem and have repeated it and doubled
checked to ensure that this post is accurate.
The problem is;
I can mount both the 16mb and 64mb cards if I use my camera. If I use my
reader, the 16mb card mounts ok but, the 64mb card returns no media found.
When I used the 2.4.19 kernel the 64mb card worked fine with the reader. A
new addition to my setup (apart from 2.6-test) is a usb to serial adapter. I
connect all these to a usb hub running in passive mode. In case the addition
of the usb/serial adapter was not leaving enough power for the larger
capacity SM card I attached the power adapter to the hub and switched it to
'powered'. This made not difference to the problem.
my fstab entry is;
/dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia vfat rw,user,noauto 0,0

when the 64mb card is mounted in the camera fdisk -l returns;

/dev/sda1 * 1 500 63972+ 1 FAT12

Any help on this would be appreciated.

__
Patrick