Re: Smartmedia 2.6.0-test9 problem.

From: Parick Beard
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 16:52:41 EST

> I wonder if you are seeing the same thing I see...
>
> I have several different sized memory cards which I use using a usb
> adaptor. The kernel (I've only tried 2.4 not 2.6) recognises the
> first one fine, but refuses to update its internal knowledge of the
> size of the card so if I insert a different sized one it doesn't mount
> properly.
>
> The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
> whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading
> the size of the media (or maybe the partition table) and it all works
> fine after that.
>
> This obviously isn't ideal but I haven't found a better solution.

Nick,

Thanks for that thought. I only recently found out about that. It led me
to interpret my problem wrongly the first time.
Unfortunately this is not my problem. On a clean boot I can't mount the
64mb card in the reader, yet if I plug my camera in I can mount it there.
The 16mb card however mounts no problem in the reader.

As an alternative to the fix for the problem you see. Here is a link I
found that towards the bottom of the page has a solution. I haven't tried
it myself, but it might interest you.

http://bmiller.customer.netspace.net.au/linux/c5050.html

If ever I get my problem sorted I'll give it a try myself.

--
Patrick