Re: Smartmedia 2.6.0-test9 problem.

From: Vid Strpic
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 04:40:12 EST

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:48:28PM +0000, Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:11:26AM -0000, Patrick Beard wrote:
> > I have two smartmedia cards 16mb and 64mb. I have recently compiled
> > the Debian source for Kernel 2.6.0-test9. I normally only use my
> > 64mb card together with a usb reader. The problem I have led me to
> > the wrong conclusion which I reported to this group. For this I
> > apologise.
> I wonder if you are seeing the same thing I see...
> I have several different sized memory cards which I use using a usb
> adaptor. The kernel (I've only tried 2.4 not 2.6) recognises the
> first one fine, but refuses to update its internal knowledge of the
> size of the card so if I insert a different sized one it doesn't mount
> properly.

I don't have that problem, luckily, but a different one...

> The work-around I use is to "rmmod usb-storage ; modprobe usb-storage"
> whenever I change memory card - this kicks the kernel into re-reading
> the size of the media (or maybe the partition table) and it all works
> fine after that.
> This obviously isn't ideal but I haven't found a better solution.

Sometimes kernel doesn't want to recognize the SM card in reader, and I
have to reinsert it, sometimes several times. In 2.4, one `eject
/dev/sda` fixes the problem, in 2.6 not any more. But reinserting
always helps... obviously, not ideal too, but it works for me.

--
vms@xxxxxxxxxxx, IRC:*@Martin, /bin/zsh. C|N>K
Linux moria 2.6.0-test9 #1 Sat Oct 25 23:00:37 CEST 2003 i686