Re: Patrick's Test9 suspend code.

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 09:43:19 EST

Hi!

> > Strange, they should be pretty much the same, functionality-wise.
>
> Well, I gave your code another try. It blanked the screen during the
> "powering down devices" stage so I didn't see what it did after that, but a
> full minute later it had stopped accessing the hard drive for rather a long
> time, but the power was still on (except for the screen), so I switched it
> off. On reboot, it didn't resume from swap (normal boot with fsck instead)
> but I had to do a mkswap to get my swap file back.

If you had to re-mkswap, that means suspend was indeed
successfull. Did you pass right resume= option? What did
kernel say when it refused to resume?

> covernor, probably. If I tell it to use the userspace governor, there's
> still nothing in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0, the directory is empty. Maybe
> the documentation isn't up to date anymore, I don't know...) When I tried to
> suspend with it, it sort of worked but the writing to disk phase (which never
> caused a problem before) had a visible pause between each sector written, and
> writing out the 3000 sectors took over 5 minutes, and the end result wasn't
> something it could resume from anyway. Sigh...

Hmm, I've seen something similar, but result was ok at the end.
It only took very long time.

> > * go with minimal config, turn off drivers like USB, AGP you don't
> > really need
>
> usb and agp were both compiled in to the kernel that worked (not modular). It
> never seemed to be dying due to the HARDWARE, it always shut all the hardware
> down just fine...

You really should try without AGP. It has no support => it
will happily crash your machine at unrelated point during
resume.
Pavel
--
Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...