Re: 2.6.0-test9-mm4 (only) and vmware

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 21:36:33 EST

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:22:46PM -0500, Christopher Li wrote:
> Thanks, I post a totally untested patch follows, but the testing of
> which kernel has this feature is not completed yet.
> Is there a way to reliably detect which kernel has this change?
> Look at all the ifdef I need to make to keep the module working
> with other kernels. :-(
> Best Regards,
> Chris

akpm wants us not to barf when ->nopage() methods not updated to the
new signature are used, so we're either setting the initial value of
ret in do_no_page() to something that won't get barfed on by
do_page_fault() or teaching all the fault handlers to ignore invalid
return values. As far as fixing the warning, the #ifdef is still needed.

I'm going to ruminate on non-fatal methods of complaining loudly.

-- wli