Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 00:37:36 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:49:05PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

I'm all for open specs, but in reality that doesn't always happen.
(out of interest, are there any OS 3d drivers for any current cards?)
I know what you mean, but I would find nvidia more at fault for not
providing power management than no OS drivers.

The rationales for closed specs are bogus, so I have zero sympathy.

Definitely agreed.

When I am forced to sign NDAs to get hardware specs, the hardware IP "revealed" is inevitably something that some other company has done before, and done better. NDAs and closed specs are IMO only used by vendors to save face, when their hardware design is stupid, and their errata innumerable.

Jeff