Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 00:39:27 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:49:05PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

I'm all for open specs, but in reality that doesn't always happen.
(out of interest, are there any OS 3d drivers for any current cards?)
I know what you mean, but I would find nvidia more at fault for not
providing power management than no OS drivers.

The rationales for closed specs are bogus, so I have zero sympathy.
It's generally a braindead encoding for commands to carry out well-
understood operations. There is nothing to hide, except, of course,
the ability to use the hardware.

Well OK, but whether the manufacturers are bad or good, there will be
some that aren't going to release specs or open source drivers. I think
it is *mostly* positive that the Linux kernel allows them to support
Linux though binary drivers.

Note, I'm talking about the kernel. We are all agreed that closed specs
are a bad move by manufacturers.