Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 08:20:23 EST

On Thursday 20 November 2003 01:52, Matt Mackall wrote:
[huge snip of well reasoned arguments]

>Personally, I think it's time to do some sort of trademark
> enforcement or something so that companies can't get away with
> slapping penguins on devices that only work with 2.2.14 Red Hat
> kernels.

Hear, hear! I'm still smarting over buying a copy of Wordperfect 8
for linux for $65 back in '98 or '99, only to find it wouldn't even
install if it didn't find some old, buggy 2.2.x kernel to run under.
The 2.4.x family was by then several generations old.

Shennanigans like that, screwing the customer (who had no recourse but
to seriously downgrade his system, no refunds were given) was one of
the things that Corel was very good at. And it no doubt heavily
contributed to the eventual failure of Corel. Potential Future
Customers remember that even if the PHB's can't. I removed my self
from that PFC list forthwith.

I keep it on the shelf as a reminder that I was one of those "Suckers
born every minute" :(

I'm for it, if it doesn't work with the latest stable kernel release,
the labels MUST COME OFF. But howto enforce that legally is the real
$64 question. Humm, I guess that dates me, I can remember that radio
program. From back in the '40's.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M