2.4.x parport_serial link order bug (only works as a module)

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 10:24:16 EST

Hello,

I've just looked at the 2.4.x changelog (up to 2.4.23-rc2) and still
don't see any fix for the parport_serial link order bug fix. Without
it, the driver (which handles various PCI multi I/O serial+parallel
cards) only works as a module (broken when compiled into the kernel,
because parport_serial must be initialised after serial).

I've tried to submit the fix a few times since 2.4.19 or so, with
no success so far. Is there any hope that it would go into 2.4.23?

The patch is here (can be updated to 2.4.23-rc if you are interested):

http://www.amelek.gda.pl/linux-patches/2.4.21/00_parport_serial

Quite big, but the largest part of it simply moves parport_serial.c
from drivers/parport/ to drivers/char/ without changing a single line
inside the file. Really, no 2-line local root backdoors inserted ;-)

In the same directory, you can also find the NetMos patch, which should
be applied after the parport_serial link order bugfix patch. Yes, I'm
still using a few NM9835 cards, no problems except having to patch each
kernel version forever. This boring task would be easier for me if at
least the simple parport_serial link order fix would be accepted...

Thanks,
Marek