Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 12:38:16 EST

Jason Lunz wrote:
jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx said:

Who brought binary drivers into this? And when I have ever advocated binary drivers?

ndiswrapper has one use IMHO (which was pointed out me in this thread)... to assist in reverse engineering.

That may be your intention, but as soon as cards exist that can only be
made to work with ndis-wrapped drivers, you can be sure that the masses
won't wait for the reverse-engineering to be completed. So all the
nvidia-video-type problems _will_ start showing up in a big population
of laptops and such too.

And we will ignore such bug reports, like we ignore nVidia bug reports now. I welcome choice, including the choice of users to shoot themselves in the foot...

Jeff