Re: [ANNOUNCE] cuecat serio driver for linux 2.6.0-test9

From: Zinx Verituse
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 14:21:33 EST

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:32:49AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:45:14PM -0600, Zinx Verituse wrote:
[snip]

> > The major number is dynamicly allocated -- If you aren't using devfs,
> > check /proc/devices.
> > The minor number for reading all cuecats is 0, and the minor number
> > for individual cuecats is their [driver-assigned] index plus 1.
> > Recommended names are:
> > /dev/cuecat/cuecats
> > /dev/cuecat/0
> > /dev/cuecat/1
> > and so on.
>
> Hmm? A 2.6 input driver shouldn't create devices bz itself but rather use
> the input core to communicated with the upper drivers like evdev or moused..

The input core really is designed for actual input devices, rather
than devices that send out arbitrary largish amounts of data.

The driver would probably be simplified a bit (superficially) by
sending barcodes as events (it would have to be multiple events
per barcode -- the input core has very small communications with
userland), but it would complicate userspace quite a bit, and it's
really just not the sort of thing I'd expect in the input core.

However, if you can think of a way to send the barcodes as a single
event, without changing the userland input core interface, I'm all
ears :)

--
Zinx Verituse