Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Pasi Kärkkäinen
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 15:29:04 EST

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:41:21PM +0100, Diego Calleja García wrote:
> El Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:59:46 +1100 Nick Piggin <piggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>
> > I must say that I've been using the same nvidia drivers on my desktop
> > system for maybe a year, and never had a crash including going through
> > countless versions of 2.5/6. True you need to recompile the intermediate
>
> You're lucky.
> Nvidia drivers are broken, and it's not just linux. Their windows drivers
> are know to be buggy, too. And this is happening in windows (which has a
> "windows driver model" abi which doesn't change even between W9x and nt)
>
> Also, they don't support non-x86 architectures in linux (they have drivers
> for mac os X though)
> If there're a lot of binary drivers for linux, we'll have the same hell
> microsoft has (w2k and XP are rock solid, until you start using crappy
> drivers, then everybody complains about blue screens). A stable and defined
> abi (like their driver model) doesn't work for them, it won't work for us.
>
> I don't mind running propietary code...but not in the kernel.
>
> (BTW, are there modern graphics cards with 100% opensource drivers?)

None of the new chips (r300, any nvidia, matrox, etc) has opensource 3D
drivers.

If you want good 3D support (OpenGL) you need to use binary drivers :(

DRI (opensource) opengl-drivers have support for only ati r200 and older
cards.. so nothing new. And DRI drivers don't support the advanced features
of these cards.. so no shaders etc :(

OpenGL support in DRI drivers feels also more buggy than Nvidia/ATI binary
drivers :(

So the situation is not good..

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

^