Re: AW: HT enable on BIOS which doesn't supports it?

From: bill davidsen
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 17:55:58 EST

In article <20031118165605.39280.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Bradley Chapman <kakadu_croc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| My CPU is like that too:
|
| processor : 0
| vendor_id : GenuineIntel
| cpu family : 15
| model : 2
| model name : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
| stepping : 7
| cpu MHz : 1994.259
| cache size : 512 KB
| fdiv_bug : no
| hlt_bug : no
| f00f_bug : no
| coma_bug : no
| fpu : yes
| fpu_exception : yes
| cpuid level : 2
| wp : yes
| flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
| clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
| bogomips : 3932.16
|
| I also have an 'ht' flag -- but I've never tried SMP. XP doesn't seem to think HT
| is on here either, so I just put it down as an anomaly.

You can have the HT feature with only one sibling. The value of this is
not obvious, and I have no idea if the 2nd sib is really disabled or if
it is missing. You can find good discussion in comp.sys.intel and some
of the conspiracy groups, I bet.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc