Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Bob McElrath
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 20:03:40 EST

Jean Tourrilhes [jt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:

> My point is : why buy this laptop if it's not 100%
> supported ? They are plenty of other laptops...

There are not plenty. By the time you limit yourself to:
1) No nvidia
2) Supported wireless
3) Non-winmodem
4) OSS driver for sound
5) Not paying for windoze
you're left with a fairly small set of laptops and vendors, and I
haven't even started considering the hardware I *do* want yet.
(processor, HDD, RAM, screen, etc)

For the record I maintain a list of linux and no-OS laptop vendors:
http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html
and there aren't that many. Go through there product lines and start
cutting out winmodems, broadcam wireless and nvidia, and there is very
little left.

The problem is consumers don't build laptops, companies do. I can build
my desktop component-by-component. (Rally now for open, interchangable
laptop hardware!)

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]