Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 02:53:05 EST

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Nuno Silva wrote:

> The good people at Cambridge made a (very nice) VMM that exploits
> ring0/1/3 to let one machine run various kernels independently (the
> kernels need to be ported to the xen arch).

This is what I alluded to a few lines later - saying that if you move the
driver down to ring1, then you should move _everything_ down to ring1 and
just leave a microkernel at ring0.

Now, I'm not big on microkernels, but a pure virtual machine abstraction
is at least not the distateful academic mental masturbation that we saw in
the 80's.

Linus