Re: Nick's scheduler v19a

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 04:16:02 EST

Markus Hästbacka wrote:

Hi again.
I'm not sure if this is because of the patch or what, but my X crashes
normally in ~2 days, and the framebuffer gets all messy (green lines,
can't see what I'm typing, etc.), this doesn't happen with your patch at
all, only with vanilla kernel(s). Maybe my hardware likes your patch or
something. My X have been running for four days now without any kind of
problem on the patched kernel. (I'm not sure if it's the kernel or what,
but reported it anyway). That's the only problem I've been getting more
than often.

There's no other problems, only that the kernel standard scheduler is a
bit slower than yours.

Well yes its possible that my scheduler is better at hiding some bug. It
wouldn't be fixing anything, of course. It definitely was better at
exposing a kernel or postgresql bug when running OSDL's PostgreSQL tests -
I saw the crash 3 times I think, though never with standard kernel.

I don't know how you should be reporting X crashes. I guess you could report
the bug to the XFree86 guys as per their guidelines if you can reproduce the
crashes with an up to date 2.4 kernel.

Nick

Regards,
Markus