Re: Announce: ndiswrapper

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 12:46:54 EST

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 06:04:51PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> >
> > > Even better :
> > > 1) go to the Wireless LAN Howto
> > > 2) find a card are supported under Linux that suit your needs
> > > 3) buy this card
> > > I don't see the point of giving our money to vendors that
> > > don't care about us when there are vendors making a real effort toward
> > > us.
> >
> > You left out the step of "remove or disable the existing hardware in the
> > system." Not everyone has a choice unlimited by budget and politics.
>
> Why did you buy a bogus card in the first place ? That's
> wasting money.

The most common reason is that someone else, like employer or university,
specifies or even provides the hardware. After that comes system price, a
system with a less-than-perfect device may be much cheaper than the
perfect solution. Many people have a low money to time ratio, and when
affordable hardware becomes available it's only possible to use it. And in
some cases the offending hardware may be unremovable, as in soldered on.
Think laptop.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc