IDE lockup after floppy access

From: Dick Streefland
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 17:42:58 EST

After accessing a floppy disk, the kernel blocks on the first harddisk
access. After a couple of seconds, the following messages appear:

hda: dma_time_expiry: dma status = 0x61
hda: DMA timeout error

I can only reset at this point. This is reproducible. I'm running
kernel 2.6.0-test9 on an SMP system, but the problem doesn't go away
when I boot with "nosmp". The kernel was built with CONFIG_PREEMPT.
Here are the IDE startup messages:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL CR13.0A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6602B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

--
Dick Streefland //// De Bilt
dick.streefland@xxxxxxxxx (@ @) The Netherlands