2.6.0-test9 : bridge freezes

From: SVR Anand
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 10:28:08 EST

Hi,

I am one of the system administrators who manage a campus network of 5000 users
that is connected to Internet. We have placed a Linux bridge to isolate the
Internet from the campus. To nullify network flooding effect, we have used
iptables. The kernel is 2.6.0-test9, the ethernet cards that are used are
RTL8139.

The problem is : After 3 to 4 hours of functioning, the bridge stops working
and the machine becomes unusable where it doesn't respond to keyboard, and
there is no video display. In simple terms it freezes. Before going in for
2.6.0-test9 I have tried 2.4.20 with bridge patches for iptables support. It
worked reliably except that I cannot even login from the console because
I don't get the shell prompt after a while.

Presently I have gone back to 2.4.20 for the sake of robustness. Can someone
let me know what I can do to use 2.6.x kernel with a good amount of confidence
so that I can keep the campus users happy ? I am making guess work as
to whether the problem is with the network drivers, or some power management
issues, and so on.

Any inputs from you will be really useful. I am eager to try out any amount
of debugging, the thing is I don't know what to look for.

Anand