Re: IDE lockup after floppy access

From: Dick Streefland
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 15:31:02 EST

spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dick Streefland) wrote:
| Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <B.Zolnierkiewicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| | Does disabling CONFIG_PREEMPT cure the problem?
|
| No, I just tried without CONFIG_PREEMPT, but it still hangs.

I did some more tests (I'm becoming a big fan of the ext3 filesystem).
The lockup also occurs with older kernels like 2.6.0-test1 and 2.4.20.
A sure way to reproduce the problem is running the following one-liner
with a DOS floppy in the drive:

find / & mdir

Disabling DMA with "hdparm -d0" doesn't help, although the kernel
messages are different. I now get:

hda: lost interrupt

What could be the cause for this. Is my hardware dying? And if yes,
what part? Any tips on how to isolate this problem? I know for sure
that my floppy worked two months ago, but I don't known when it worked
for the last time.

--
Dick Streefland //// De Bilt
dick.streefland@xxxxxxxxx (@ @) The Netherlands