Re: irq 15: nobody cared! with KT600 chipset and 2.6.0-test9

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 14:17:22 EST

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> >Does this one make a difference?
> No:

Actually, it _does_ seem to make a difference. The irq probe doesn't
report failure any more:

> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hdc: CD-ROM 50X, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: 32X10, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> Badness in request_irq at arch/i386/kernel/irq.c:572

so now we have happily apparently probed the irq, but the problem is that
it continues to scream afterwards. So we're still unhappy, but something
did actually change.

I wonder why ACPI matters. It must be changing the polarity or trigger of
the irq somehow - but your earlier dmesg output seems to imply that it
only changes ELCR for irq9, so it must be somewhere else. Len, ideas?

Also, Marco, it might actually be a VIA IDE driver bug, that leaves the
interrupt on during setup somewhere (and the bug just doesn't matter when
the IRQ is edge-triggered). So it would be interesting to know what
happens if you disable the VIA-specific IDE support...

(Btw, thanks for being so good at testing, despite the lack of major
progress).

Linus