Re: [RFC] generalise scheduling classes

From: Anton Blanchard
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 20:19:07 EST

> We still don't have an HT aware scheduler, which is unfortunate because
> weird stuff like that looks like it will only become more common in
> future.

Yep. Look at POWER5, 2 cores on a die sharing a l2 cache and 2 threads
on each core. On top of that you have the higher level NUMA
characteristics of the machine. So we need SMT as well as (potentially)
2 levels of NUMA. The overhead of enabling multi levels of NUMA may
outweigh the gains, we need to do some analysis.

Looks like a lot of the other architectures are going multi core multi
thread...

(HT is an intel trademark for what boils down to being SMT)

Anton