Re: Copy protection of the floppies

From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 04:29:21 EST

In article <5F0021EEA434D511BE7300D0B7B6AB530CA67677@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (at Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:07:29 +0530), "Pravin Nanaware , Gurgaon" <pnanaware@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> says:

> 1> Could somebody suggest me the way to protect floppy from copying it's
> contents.
> 2> If not possible, will it be possible to make the copied floppy unworkable
> (The copied floppy shouldn't work).
> For this I have constraint, I don't want to change the platform, which
> reads this floppy.

Basically, it depends on what kind of equipment you and the enemy have.
If you have special equipment and technique to write a floppy, you can make
a floppy which is not copiable by normal PCs.
But, if the enemy has similar equipment, he can do it.

About 15 years ago, there were many gaming softwares which were procected,
for example, by checking "gap" between sectors. I also heard that there
was a technique to change the hole of 5.25" (or 8") floppy for copy
protection.

--
Hideaki YOSHIFUJI @ USAGI Project <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPG FP: 9022 65EB 1ECF 3AD1 0BDF 80D8 4807 F894 E062 0EEA