Re: amanda vs 2.6

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 14:44:58 EST

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 14:30, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>On Wednesday 26 November 2003 12:19, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
>
>On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:15:52PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Unforch, this seems to have fubared the system, and I will have to
>> reboot as I cannot (it hangs) do an "su amanda" after executeing
>> this.

I forgot in case you aren't fam with amanda, much of it will not run
as any user but its own user, in this case amanda. Security etc.

>Sounds like trouble. Are there any external signs of what's going
> on? e.g. is the disk thrashing?

No, it just hangs forever on the su command, never coming back.
everything else I tried, which wasn't much, seemed to keep on working
as I sent that message with that hung su process in another shell on
another window. I'm an idiot, normally running as root...

I've rebooted, not knowing if an echo 0 to that variable would fix it
or not, I see after the reboot the default value is 0 now.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M