Re: amanda vs 2.6

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 15:43:01 EST

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 15:04, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:43:43PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > No, it just hangs forever on the su command, never coming back.
>> > everything else I tried, which wasn't much, seemed to keep on
>> > working as I sent that message with that hung su process in
>> > another shell on another window. I'm an idiot, normally running
>> > as root... I've rebooted, not knowing if an echo 0 to that
>> > variable would fix it or not, I see after the reboot the default
>> > value is 0 now.
>>
>> Okay, then we need to figure out what the hung process was doing.
>> Can you find its pid and check /proc/$PID/wchan?
>
>I've seen this before, and I'll bet you 5c (yeah, I'm cheap) that
> it's trying to log to syslogd.
>
>And syslogd is stopped for some reason - either a bug, a mistaken
> SIGSTOP, or simply because the console has been stopped with a
> simple ^S.
>
>That won't stop "su" working immediately - programs can still log to
>syslogd until the logging socket buffer fills up. Which can be
> _damn_ frsutrating to find (I haven't seen this behaviour lately,
> but I remember being perplexed like hell a long time ago).
>
> Linus

Ok, then, this is not what I'm seeing. The last su amanda was done on
an almost virgin shell, having only executed that echo 1 to the
overcommit_memory var in /proc.

I tried it from other shells too, no difference, su is locked, cannot
even respond to a ctrl-c or ctrl-d. But the close button will close
the shell window just fine.

Also, echoing a 0 to that variable doesn't fix it.only a reboot fixes
it. Right now:
[root@coyote root]# ps -ea |grep syslogd
406 ? 00:00:00 syslogd
[root@coyote root]# echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory

which didn't kill syslogd:
[root@coyote root]# ps -ea |grep syslogd
406 ? 00:00:00 syslogd

Ok, I'll play this game, as long as I know the rules, I have now done
an "su amanda" in two different shells, without any problems, and a
"cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory" returns this:
[amanda@coyote root]$ cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
1
[amanda@coyote root]$

The two previous boots to the same kernel, 2.6.0-test10 using the
default scheduler, hung the su command and failed at exactly this
same point.

I think I need a new rulebook...

--
Cheers, Gene