Re: Fire Engine??

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 18:00:41 EST

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:36:20 -0800
"David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:29:09 +0100
> Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The first SIOCGTSTAMP would be inaccurate, but the following (after
> > all untimestamped packets have been flushed) would be ok.
>
> I don't think this is acceptable. It's important that all
> of the timestamps are as accurate as they were before.

I disagree on that. The window is small and slowing down 99.99999% of all
users who never care about this for this extremely obscure misdesigned API does
not make much sense to me.

Also if you worry about these you could add an optional sysctl
to always take it, so if anybody really has an application that relies
on the first time stamp being accurate and they cannot use SO_TIMESTAMP
they could set the sysctl.

-Andi