Re: amanda vs 2.6

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 13:06:55 EST

On Thursday 27 November 2003 12:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Thursday 27 November 2003 12:16, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>This isn't a performance problem. This is a bug. It vaguely sounds
>>> like a missed wakeup or missing setting of TIF_NEED_RESCHED, but
>>> could be a number of other things too.
>>>
>>>(The missing setting of TIF_NEED_RESCHED theory is right if it's
>>>possible to clean up after it by ignoring need_resched() in the
>>>scheduler and always rescheduling.)
>>
>>Well, running 2.6.0-test11, I just discovered I'm back to being
>> unable to 'su amanda' again. It worked the first time, but I got
>> rejected frorm unpacking the lastest
>> amanda-2.4.4p1-20031126.tar.gz due to a lack of permissions, so I
>> exited, chowned the archive to what it was supposed to be, but
>> cannot now do another su amanda in order to start the install of
>> this latest snapshot.
>>
>>The process just [root@coyote root]# ps -ea |grep su
26658 pts/1 00:00:00 su
[root@coyote root]# cat /proc/26658/wchan
sys_wait4[root@coyote root]#
hangs, never comeing back to a prompt. I never
>> had any troubles with that useing test9, so I guess its reboot
>> time again.
>>
>>However, IMO this is a major problem, and needs fixed before 2.6.0.
>
>Rebooted to 2.6.0-test10, deadline scheduler now, and have managed
> to do an 'su amanda' at least twice without any hangs.
>
>Three times now, no problems. 4 times, exited the last one with a
>ctrl-d instead of an exit string, and now the 5th time is hung. Is
>ctrl-d no longer a valid shell exit option? Finding the su PID, and
>catting /proc/PID/wchan returns this just as it did yesterday:
>
>[root@coyote root]# ps -ea |grep su
>26658 pts/1 00:00:00 su
>[root@coyote root]# cat /proc/26658/wchan
>sys_wait4[root@coyote root]#

Then I killed that su process, which got me back my prompt in that
shell. I have since done 4 runs of 'su amanda -c "amcheck
DailySet1"' without any problem. Now can I just plain 'su amanda'?

No, thats hung again. Somebody wanna pass me the excedrin, I've got
headache #947...

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M