Re: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)

From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 13:20:06 EST

Julien Oster wrote:
ross.alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I have been test various kernel parameter combinations to test stability.

Thanks, that's quite a nice overview.

But something seems strange:

APIC,LAPIC S
PREM,APIC,LAPIC S

Does those two lines mean, that using ACPI, APIC and local APIC
enabled is stable, as long as your kernel is not an SMP kernel? If
yes, then I can't confirm this. I run strictly non-SMP kernels and
they always crash if APIC (or local APIC?) is enabled.

I also have the same problem on an Abit NF7-S V2.0: I think I tested (non-SMP always) with kernel 2.6-test8 last: With Apic (and/or local apic) system locks up. Without it is now rock-solid with ACPI. But it seems to be a BIOS issue, as Windows locks up with APIC use, as well. Well I am using latest BIOS and hope that Abit gets this fixed...

BTW, why would someone want an SMP kernel for a 1-CPU system?

Prakash