Re: Promise IDE controller crashes 2.4.22

From: Wes Janzen
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 14:41:33 EST

Hi,

I'd suspect some sort of PCI problem, especially since you're running a K6. What chipset is your motherboard based on?

I'm running a K6-2 400 on an FIC PA2013 with two PDC20269 controllers and my primary drive is a 6Y060L0. I've had no problem with writes in DMA mode locking the system in 2.4.22 or any of the test kernels. I have a 92048D8 that doesn't like UDMA-2 writes, but that won't hang the system; it just causes Linux to continually reset the interface until the kernel finally disables DMA on the drive. Oddly, UDMA-1 works fine but this is a drive to controller hardware issue and not the drivers fault.

Anyway, since the kernel seems to handle a DMA write gone bad, that leads me to believe that this issue is caused by the increased data flowing over the PCI bus when using DMA vs using PIO. I'm not an expert though, maybe someone else has an opinion on this?

You might try putting the card in another slot too. My cards are installed in slots 1 & 2 with 2 other PCI cards and an ISA device. This particular motherboard seems to handle a full complement of expansion cards without problem, but I remember hearing nightmares about such a configuration back when these things were new.

-Wes-

John Goerzen wrote:

Hi,

I have a Promise 20269-based UDMA 133 IDE controller. If I have DMA
enabled on this controller, then when it is seeing heavy write activity,
the system freezes. No messages on the console, ctrl-alt-del does
nothing, magic sysrq does nothing.

Reads do not appear to cause this problem, and the problem also
disappears if I disable DMA on the drive connected to the controller by
using hdparm.

System information:
Linux pi 2.4.22 #3 Sat Oct 25 15:45:50 CDT 2003 i586 GNU/Linux
AMD K6 400MHz processor

lspci:
00:08.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269
(rev 02)

Drive: Maxtor 6Y160P0 150GB UDMA 133

I have, in my .config:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW=y