Re: APM Suspend Problem

From: pZa1x
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 01:14:36 EST

A follow-up

by shutting down PCMCIA and rmmod'ing all the related modules ie ide_cs, ds, yenta_socket, pcmcia_core the suspend works on AC again.

So, I add them back one by one:
pcmcia_core -> still works
yenta_socket -> FAILS!
rmmod yenta_socket -> works again!

(a) with no apm module or apmd but with all PCMCIA (ie. hardware suspend- close lid etc);
(b) with apm & apmd and all PCMCIA but no AC power
(c) with apm & apmd but no yenta_socket and the rest but with AC power

The problem is a combination of apm, yenta_socket and AC power.

pZa1x wrote:
I would like to join in here. I have a Thinkpad T20 I just put 2.6.0-test11 on and APM will only suspend properly if the power plug is pulled out of the back (thanks for that tip, btw). With power connected, it plays a high-low beep and turns off screen and HD without suspending properly (and if left too long, may not come back to life).

I believe I read somewhere there is some kind of settings to override power features when AC power is connected. Perhaps this problem is related to that. I tried running "apm -i" and "apm -n" but it wouldn't recognize the commands as set out in the man page.

If I stop apmd AND rmmod apm then I can suspend by closing the lid (hardware suspend I guess) but then I have no battery monitor capability.

I tried ACPI but it would not work without =force as a kernel parameter and when used, did not cleanly come back from a suspend.

APM worked perfectly in 2.4.20 which is what I used up to today. Are the APM/ACPI people out there?

an interesting email on "suspend rejects" caused by kernel drivers from a year ago or more:

http://open.nit.ca/lists/archives/apmd-list/msg00006.html