RE: possible GPL violation by Sigma Designs EM8500 customers

From: Iain Barker
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 10:11:32 EST

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just to make things clear, you should change the title of your emails
here to "possible GPL violation by Liteon". AFAIK, Sigma isn't involved
in the violation, they almost certainly provided a source code kernel
for their chipset to Liteon.

Ben.

Thanks Ben,

I've modified the title of this thread to indicate it is the chipset customers who are directly at fault. However it seems that every manufacturer using the Sigma SDK is making the same error.

The violation seems to be common amongst a large number (all?) Sigma Designs customers using their EM8500 chipset SDK. Liteon was the manufacturer for the product I have, but in the original thread on LKML it refers also to others.

Manufacturers offering binary distributions based on Linux as 'firmware' via their support websites are the easiers to check up on. Those with no source code included for EM8500 SDK derived products include:

Liteon http://www.liteonit.com
LVD-1001/2001/2002 DVD player

Vinc http://www.vinc.com
Bravo-D1 DVD Player

Kiss http://www.kiss-technology.com
DP-450, DP-500 DVD player

Neodigits http://www.neodigits.com
NeuNeo DVD player

Dream-X http://www.dreamsat-electronics.com
108 DVD player

Elta http://www.elta.de
8882 DVD player

RiMax http://www.rimax.net
MPEG4 DVD player

The above is not a comprehensive list, just the ones currently distributing binary-only GPL products on their support websites with no mention of Linux or the GPL.

Other manufacturers with products using the EM8500 SDK may well do the same within their product, including:

Woxter
Momitsu
Brainwave
Cosmic Digital
Jamo
Link Concept
Mustek
Neuston
Shenzhen Skywood
Xoro

As you can see, the violation is widespread. I don't have the time to follow up on all of these, and in any case I am really only interested in being able to recompile kernel for the Liteon product which I own.

But it does seem like a bigger problem as the Linux GPL license is being broadly ignored by embedded manufacturers.

regards,
Iain