Re: Better performance with pdc20376 compared to SiI 3112

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 14:11:47 EST

Eduard Hasenleithner wrote:
Hello.

Although I like the SiI 3112 due it's open specs I found that the
somehow "closed" pdc20376 promise chip performs essentially better
with the new GPL drivers on a non-tweaked 2.6.0-test11 kernel :(
With SiI 3112 I get about 16MB/s, with pdc20376 54MB/s, which is
most likely the maximum harddisk performance of my seagate drive.

Like Bart mentioned, both Promise and SiI are the same: closed specs, GPL'd driver.

So what is the status of the siimage driver? Can I expect it to
improve in further kernel releases?

I certainly hope so :) We're actively discussing the 3112 errata fix right now...

Jeff