Re: Silicon Image 3112A SATA trouble

From: Craig Bradney
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 16:16:18 EST

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 19:41, Luis Miguel García wrote:
> so definitely, 32 MB/s is almost half the speed that you get. I'm in
> 2.6-test11. I don't know more options to try. The next will be booting
> with "noapic nolapic". Some people reported better results with this.
>
> by the way, I have booted with "doataraid noraid" (no drives connected,
> only SATA support in bios), and nothing is shown in the boot messages
> (nor dmesg) about libata being loaded. I don't know if I must connect a
> hard drive and then the driver shows up, but I don't think that.

Depends on a lot of things, especially what else is on that controller.
The way I found things was my involvement in the Scribus DTP project. I
upgraded to the Athlon 2600 from a Duron 900.

That took me from 30+mins from a Scribus compile to 2 mins (!) if there
is no secondary drive. When I had my old 20gb drive plugged in to do
copies off of it.. 11mins. Do you have anything else plugged in there?
Of course, I guess in that case the 8mb drive cache is helping a lot.

Craig