Re: memory hotremove prototype, take 3

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 14:56:36 EST

Hi!

> this is a new version of my memory hotplug prototype patch, against
> linux-2.6.0-test11.
>
> Freeing 100% of a specified memory zone is non-trivial and necessary
> for memory hot removal. This patch splits memory into 1GB zones, and
> implements complete zone memory freeing using kswapd or "remapping".
>
> A bit more detailed explanation and some test scripts are at:
> http://people.valinux.co.jp/~iwamoto/mh.html

I scanned it...

hotunplug seems cool... How do you deal with kernel data structures in
memory "to be removed"? Or you simply don't allow kmalloc() to
allocate there?

During hotunplug, you copy pages to new locaion. Would it simplify
code if you forced them to be swapped out, instead? [Yep, it would be
slower...]
Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]