Re: memory hotremove prototype, take 3

From: IWAMOTO Toshihiro
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 22:02:26 EST

At Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:12:09 -0800,
Luck, Tony <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pavel Machek wrote:

> > During hotunplug, you copy pages to new locaion. Would it simplify
> > code if you forced them to be swapped out, instead? [Yep, it would be
> > slower...]
>
> There are some pages that will have to be copied (e.g. pages that
> the user "mlock()d" should still be locked in their new location,
> same for hugetlbfs pages).

Using kswapd is easy, but doesn't always work well. The patch
contains the code to ignore page accessed bits when kswapd is run on
disabled zones, but that's not enough for swapping out frequently used
pages.
In my patch, page copying, or "remapping", solves this problem by
blocking accesses to the page under operation.

--
IWAMOTO Toshihiro