Re: Linux 2.4 future

From: Ionut Georgescu
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 08:14:56 EST

Because new hardware requires newest kernel, and neither I, nor the
majority of the users out there have the knowledge to 'forward' apply
patches.

Even if 2.4 is phasing out, the process has just begun and it will last
a lot until 2.6 will be ready for production systems.

We are not talking about a fancy, experimental feature. We are talking
about a mature, serious project, that has been traveling for 3 years
along the 2.4 kernel and with even more years of testing and research
behind. I find it just pitty for the linux kernel not to include it.

When going to a conference, you don't present the brand new stuff you
have just computed or measured the night before, because you just can't
know if it is correct or not. Instead, you will present older, but
mature work, that you can swear on. The same with the 2.6 kernel.
Everybody is pushing it in front, but no one is using it for production
systems. XFS and 2.4 are, even together, old, mature work, that anybody
would 'present' anywhere.

Regards,
Ionut

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:03:15AM -0200, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 12:54:36PM +0100, Ionut Georgescu escreveu:
> > I can only second that. We've been using XFS here since the days of
> > 2.4.0-testxx and the only problems we've had were sitting between the
> > chair and the keyboard.
>
> So if there is no problems at all using it as a patch why add this to a
> kernel that is phasing out?
>
> - Arnaldo
> -

* Ionut Georgescu
* http://www.physik.tu-cottbus.de/~george/
* Registered Linux User #244479
*
* "In Windows you can do everything Microsoft wants you to do; in Unix you
* can do anything the computer is able to do."