2.4.20 page cache information

From: kernwek jalsl
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 09:47:41 EST

Hello Everyone;

On my embedded system having 64MB of RAM and no swap,
I see the following information on opening
/proc/meminfo:

total: used: free: shared: buffers:
cached:
Mem: 62894080 47947776 14946304 0 4964352
23674880
Swap: 0 0 0
MemTotal: 61420 kB
MemFree: 14596 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 4848 kB
Cached: 23120 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 32340 kB
ActiveAnon: 10760 kB
ActiveCache: 21580 kB
Inact_dirty: 0 kB
Inact_laundry: 6336 kB
Inact_clean: 236 kB
Inact_target: 7780 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 61420 kB
LowFree: 14596 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB

As I see the total memory belonging to page cache is
23MB and the anonymous list is 10MB. But if I count
the RSS values for all the processes running on the
system, it hardly comes to 15MB. Where is the rest of
the 18MB? If I understand the "cached:" = (pages in
the page cache - buffer cache). Even if I am doing
lots of file activity; I cannot imagine the file
system reads and writes holding up 18MB of the page
cache. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance
Editya