Re: Linux 2.4 future

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 14:08:42 EST

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:53:33 PST, Mike Fedyk said:

> You have all of that for ext3 in 2.6. The locking has been improved, there
> is acl support, and quota has been there for a long time (even in 2.4). I'm
> not sure about the dump, but if dump gets all allocated blocks, then you
> should have ACLs dumped too.

At least the 'dump' that comes with Fedora Core 1:

dump 0.4b34 (using libext2fs 1.34 of 25-Jul-2003)

complains: "ACLs in inode #%ld won't be dumped" (for some value of %ld)
when dumping files that have been tagged by SELinux.

http://dump.sourceforge.net/ disavows the existence of newer than 0.4b34.

It hasn't been a big issue for me, as I can re-run /usr/sbin/setfiles if I
restore. But (a) it's very noisy and liable to hide real errors and (b) any
other not-easily-recreated use of ACLs is a problem...