Problem with USB storage

From: Jim Stark
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 22:23:59 EST

Hi:

I am currently using Slackware 9.1 with a custom built
kernel (2.4.22). The problem I am having is that
sometimes (not always), I can mount my USB memory
stick. It happens very infrequently. When I insert,
the hotplug support detects it and loads usb-storage
and starts two processes (usb-storage-0 and
scsi_eh_1). Most (99%) of the time, the mount program
freezes when attempting to mount the device, and can
only be stopped by waiting and sending kill -9.
Thereafter, the device (/dev/sda1) states that it is
not a valid black device AND the USB port I tried to
use becomes unusable until a restart. Further, the
two processes I described earlier are impossible to
kill.

Any ideas? I am currently in the process of upgrading
to the newest kernel (2.4.23). An additional note is
that the ehci-hcd (usb2) module is loaded and I am
trying to use it for the higher transfer rates.

Thanks

Mike