Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Aaron Smith
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 19:53:12 EST

So being a module is not a sign of not being a derived work. It's just
one sign that _maybe_ it might have other arguments for why it isn't
derived.

Linus

My question is a natural extension of this point and subsequent posts, When is a kernel so tainted it can no longer be considered GPL, or can no longer be considered free software? I write software for astronomical applications where some vendors give binary only drivers, or give you restricted access to the source code so I will some times load 5 or 6 devices that are binary only or at least non GPL. So what taint is allowable?

Thanks,
Aaron Smith
Virginia Astronomical Instrumentation Laboratory
Programmer

PS sorry if this is a stupid question.