oom killer in 2.4.23

From: Peter Bergmann
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 11:13:24 EST

I would appreciate if someone could answer the following question:

obviously oom killer has been removed from 2.4.23.
the result is _bad_ in my special environment.
(xserver gets killed instead of application)

i'm sure you had very good reasons for removing the oom killer.

nevertheless i've seen, that oom_kill.c is still in mm/ but disabled with
#if 0
and out_of_memory() is not called anymore from vmscan.c.

is it sufficient to remove the #if 0 from oom_kill.c, call out_of_memory()
from
vmscan.c again and add PF_MEMDIE to sched.h in order to get the "old"
behaviour ?
or will this result in - i don't know - something horrible?

thanks for your help!

cheers,
pet
(please cc me as i'm not (yet) subscribed.)