Re: Reproducable OOPS with MD RAID-5 on 2.6.0-test11

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 16:08:16 EST

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Really? This actually makes a difference for you? I don't see why it
> > should matter: even if the sector offsets would overflow, why would that
> > cause _oopses_?
>
> Apart from the printk, he also changed dev_info_t which means that any
> place that uses it will be using the 64-bit type now.

I wasn't looking at the printk, I was looking at those 64-bit types. My
argument was that while the small size is incorrect, it shouldn't cause
system stability issues per se - it should just cause IO to potentially
"wrap around" and go to the wrong place on disk.

Which is very serious in itself, of course - but what surprised me was the
quoted system stability things.

Anyway, that patch only matters for the LINEAR MD module, and only for
2TB+ aggregate disks at that, so it doesn't explain any of the other
problematic behaviour. Something else is up.

Linus