Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog

From: Jesse Allen
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 23:45:19 EST

Hi,

I have a NForce2 board and can easily reproduce a lockup with grep on an IDE
hard disk at UDMA 100. The lockup occurs when both Local APIC + IO-APIC are
enabled. It was suggested to me to use NMI watchdog to catch it. However, the
NMI watchdog doesn't seem to work.

When I set the kernel parameter "nmi_watchdog=1" I get this message in
/var/log/syslog:
Dec 4 20:10:30 tesore kernel: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to
IO-APIC
Dec 4 20:10:30 tesore kernel: timer doesn't work through the IO-APIC -
disabling NMI Watchdog!

"nmi_watchdog=2" seems to work at first, In /var/log/messages:
Dec 4 20:13:11 tesore kernel: testing NMI watchdog ... OK.
but it still locks up.

I have the complete logs when running with nmi_watchdog, kernel config, and more
here:
http://www.chez.com/alors/nforce-lockup-logs.tar.gz

If you have any ideas please give them =)

Jesse