Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 03:25:00 EST

>>>>> "Nick" == Nick Piggin <piggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Nick> Peter Chubb wrote:

Nick> Not quite sure what you mean here. As far as I was aware, SCO
Nick> doesn't have any copyrights or patents on any code in the Linux
Nick> Kernel so it is not a similar situation. I haven't followed the
Nick> SCO thing closely though.

As I understand it, SCO is/was claiming that JFS and XFS are derived
works of the UNIX source base, because they were developed to match
the internal interfaces of UNIX, and with knowledge of the internals
of UNIX -- and they hold the copyrights of and are the licensor of UNIX.

I may be misunderstanding their points. And I am not a lawyer.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*