Re: Is there a "make hole" (truncate in middle) syscall?

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 06:23:13 EST

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:32:23PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> I'm curious -- does NTFS implement sparse files? Does the Win32 API
> provide any way to manipulate them? Does the NT kernel have any sparse
> file handling?

Yes it does. The new NTFS Linux driver has full support for sparse files
as does Windows of course.

Windows does provide a function which is just "make hole". It takes
starting offset and length (or was it ending offset instead of length,
can't remember) and makes this sparse (obviously aligning to cluster
boundaries, etc).

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/